John Mearsheimer in this interview: “People like [Iran’s SNSC Secretary] General Rezaei, they fully understand, I think quite correctly, that there’s no negotiating with the United States.
https://x.com/m4h007/status/2091976283584692244
John Mearsheimer in this interview:
“People like [Iran’s SNSC Secretary] General Rezaei, they fully understand, I think quite correctly, that there’s no negotiating with the United States. I think the softies, the President [of Iran] and the Speaker [of the Parliament in Iran] are wrong. I think when you’re dealing with the United States of America and Israel, you don’t make any compromises. You make it very clear that you’re playing hardball, and you’ll fight to the death. Otherwise the United States and Israel will take advantage of you. You want to remember, the United States and Israel are an existential threat to Iran as Rose [] described it before. They want to destroy Iran and the idea that you can compromise with the United States, I would never compromise with the United States if I were an adversary of the United States. I’d play hardball for as long as I can. By the way, if you look at the 17 June MoU that was a deal where there were some provisions that both sides agreed to upfront, but then everything else was supposed to be negotiated in the 60-day period. The Iranians now say there will be no negotiations, we want everything we asked for upfront, before we’ll open the strait. Going back to the 17 June memorandum, they were willing to open the strait and then negotiate on all those issues that they’re now demanding have to be settled before they open the strait. The Iranians have learned that you can’t compromise with the United States. They compromised in 17 June memorandum and who walked away from that memorandum? Not the Iranians, the United States did. So I think that 1) the hardliners are in the driver’s seat, and that’s really what matters and 2) from Iran’s point of view, not our [the US] point of view, I think you don’t want to make any concessions at this point in time.”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home