Thursday 30 April 2015

Censorship by the National Portrait Gallery

Just heard to  the Director of the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra on Radio National.  He left me sadder than ever.  

This is censorship to suit what he calls  his 'alignment' with the  political views  of  the Australian Government.  Censorship that is scary  and sad. Coming, as it does, from a leading cultural  institution this  is the worst kind of Nationalism.

I found this statement by the censored  photographer  Adam Ferguson , on his Facebook page.

"I’m saddened to hear the news of the Bali Nine. The death sentence is archaic and my thoughts are with the families. Last September, I had the opportunity to photograph the Indonesian president for a Time Magazine cover and one of the photographs was selected in the current Australian National Photographic Portrait Prize that is currently exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra. I was notified today that my photograph has been temporarily removed from the exhibition because of the public response to the Bali Nine executions and out of respect for the victims and their families. I am totally perplexed that a leading Australian artistic institution would take such action. Art is about a social and political dialogue. Leading galleries strive to promote discussion and ask questions of their audiences. I would have thought that allowing people to engage with the photo that I created would be now more important given the circumstances."


 I could not agree with him more.   

Good on ya Mate !



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home